Back to my life put on hold

At times life takes you away from your goals and puts you on a different course all together. That's exactly my life has done for the last five months. The most frustrating part was that I wasn't even consulted! As everything was starting to gain momentum in my life the universe decided it had other plans which brought everything I had been cultivating to a grinding halt.  First I became unexpectedly pregnant, which for us is stressful considering my history. Then our family suffered two deaths -my father-in-law and grandmother, both were very close to us. Now three months past the last death and 8 months into my pregnancy I'm ready to get back to where I left off.

By the end of July I was in a definite funk and knew that something had to be done. All I wanted to do was escape life. But how? I couldn't just take a vacation in the midst of everything or could I? The least I could do was give myself a mental vacation and so on August 1st I mentally boarded a flight to France to begin a month long mental vacation. I don't know exactly what I was expecting as I loaded up on french movies, memoirs about moving to France, language Cd's and, my favorite part, food but it didn't take more than a few days before I felt lighter. By the end of the month I was feeling more myself again and now that we're nearing the end of September I finally feel as though I can resume the life I had but on pause.

I did learn a couple of things about myself during that mental vacation. The first being that it really is possible to trick your brain. The second, is that I suck at languages and that I might need to take learning a language off my list of 40, or at least revise it to be more attainable like learn key phrases. Third, aside from pastries, crepes and cheese I don't really like much french food but I REALLY like pastries, crepes and cheese.  Finally, I'm not as big of a francophile as I'd like to be. That last part was a little sad for me but I'd be willing to give it try after try.

Comments

Johanna said…
What?!? You're not francophile? Oh come on... Maybe the next country on your list for your mental break will be better (Japan, maybe?) Glad to see you're blogging again. I missed reading you. And glad you're feeling better.
2 more months until your bundle arrives. So exciting. And scary. But exciting all the same!

Popular Posts