Getting back on course

Sometimes life takes us off course. So far off that if we were tracking ourselves on GPS we'd have that constant annoying reminder that we'd made a wrong turn somewhere. Haven't we all experienced that at some point? Even to the extent that you're certain that you know better than the GPS only to find yourself miles out of the way recalculating your destination? I've done this more than I'd like to admit and now I'm seeing it as a metaphor for my current location, completely off course.

What is the most effective way to get back on course? I'm not sure that I have the prefect answer but for me it's been a accumulation of techniques. Below is a list of things that works for me. Use it all or just a piece, whatever resonates with you.

Create a vision board. So this might sound a little hokey but I spend some time going through magazines cutting out pictures, phrases and words that resonate with the life I am looking to create. It's a great
way to get you thinking about what it is that you truly want, or even just want to keep. Then I paste them to construction paper and display it somewhere that I will be forced to see everyday.

Express gratitude. Daily I express gratitude for the wonderful things that I have in my life and I also express gratitude for the things that I'm working on achieving. Everything is expressed as though it has already come to fruition.

Positive thought. At times easier said than done but for each negative thought about a goal that I have, I add on the positive equivalent. There are some days when my brain doesn't allow for this positive spin and that's OK but it's important not to let yourself be consumed by the negative. Remember that positive thoughts create positive energy which leads to positive results. The same goes for the negative, that's way it's so important not to allow your mind to sit in the negative.

Evaluate where you are currently. Where are you emotionally, intellectually, creatively and physically? By looking at your entire person you have a better sense of what you can handle. For example, eight months ago when I was powering through my goals, traveling, writing and getting my life back to where I wanted it to be I was completely derailed. Now, at 9 months pregnant, I am finally feeling up to getting back on track but I need to be realistic about what the next 6 months to 1 year will look like for me. By setting goals that give me a little more leeway I'm able to continue making progress while staying on course. In 6 months I can reevaluate where I am and if I'm able to push myself a little more.

Walk. Walking is a great way to clear the cobwebs. Everyday I take a walk around my neighborhood, it's not a huge commitment but it helps me to feel better and when I feel better it's easier to stay positive.

I hope something I've listed helps get you back on your personal course or at the least reinforces the steps you're already taking.

Comments

Johanna said…
Sorry you feel so off tracks recently. Hope you get back to your GPS route soon :)

I use a vision board. I try to be grateful, too. Mostly I try to control things -ha, that joke!- or do the contrary and am totally detached, like right now, but that's due to lack of sleep, not to some enlightened point of view!

Popular Posts